ANNUAL SONGWRITING COMPETITION IN MASHPEE COMMONS
Mash-ville™ is Steeple Street Music Academy’s annual songwriting competition! It is our mission to provide the opportunity for both aspiring and established songwriters to have their songs heard on our professional outdoor stage in our beautiful Cape Cod, Massachusetts. SSMA has designed this competition to nurture the musical talent of songwriters on all levels and promote excellence in the art of songwriting. Amateur and professional songwriters and musicians are invited to participate.
Here’s the deal:
- Submissions open: March 1, 2022
- Submissions close: July 15, 2022
- You have to be at least 13 years old to enter.
- Entry for the first song is $25, and $10 for each additional song – there are NO LIMITS!
- You retain 100% rights to your original music – but, of course, allow us to brag about you on our promotional platforms!
- Your music must be ORIGINAL – that means, not even sampled from another song!
- You have to be available for the Songwriters’ Showcase on Saturday, August 6, 2022 at 11AM.
- If you win the Grand Prize, you win TWO ROUND-TRIP TICKETS TO NASHVILLE, TN!
“It’s very helpful to start with something that’s true. If you start with something that’s false, you’re always covering your tracks. Something simple and true, that has a lot of possibilities, is a nice way to begin.”
American Idol Winner & Special Guest Performer
Congratulations to the Mash-ville 2019 winners:
- Matt Almquist’s song, “Manteca,” earned him radio time with Dan & Stephanie on 106 WCOD!
- Genevieve Sull’s song, “John and the Wall” won her some recording time at SSN Studios with NYC longtime producer, Tim Carlin!
- The GRAND PRIZE went to Aaron Jones for his song, “I Wanna Know.” He’ll be flying to Nashville, TN to participate in a Writer’s Round with Morgan Johnston!
2019 Winning Song:
“I Wanna Know,” Aaron Jones
Aaron’s song was a unanimous win with the judges. He incorporated all of the pieces necessary to produce a hit song, including lyrics with descriptive imagery that conveyed a relatable scenario along with a catchy melody. SSMA wishes him great luck in Nashville!
Second and Third Place Winners
“John and the Wall,” Genevieve Sull
“Manteca,” Matt Almquist
Mash-ville 2019 special guest artist & judge…
Born and raised on the beach peninsula of Cape Cod, Massachusetts, Morgan Johnston has always been destined to make waves. Morgan taught herself to play guitar at 13 years old. Armed with this new ability, she immediately began documenting her feelings, angst, and the misadventures of teenage love. More than that, Morgan used songwriting as a way to analyze and understand her own emotions. She would soon come to find out that her interpretations of life through song touched others, as well. This connection to other people drove Morgan to continue writing and sharing her art. Morgan took the spotlight at local open mic nights, dazzling bargoers and fellow musicians alike with her impressive talent at such a young age.
Ten years later, Johnston still narrates her journey through song, but has built her home and community in Nashville, Tennessee – singer/songwriter mecca of the United States. Her debut single, “Good Guy”, released in August 2018, features raw and heartbreaking lyrics expressed beautifully through sweet and tender vocals.
As a pop-country artist, Morgan is influenced by modern singer/songwriters such as Lori McKenna, Maren Morris and Kacey Musgraves. Johnston describes her sound as “a blend of Kacey Musgraves and Kelsea Ballerini.” This unique combination will be featured in her new music coming in 2019.
“I’ve never been afraid of being vulnerable. I’m not sure if that’s a strength or a weakness, but it’s certainly helped me as a songwriter.”